Allahabad Central UniversityDirection
Allahabad University was established on 23rd of September, 1887; it is the fourth oldest university in India. It was established under the aegis of Sir William Muir, the Lt. Governor of the United Provinces, building was designed by Sir William Emerson. The architecture of the college premises reflects influences from Egypt, England and India architectural elements.
Department of Mathematics
Established in 1872, Department of Mathematics is one of the most prominent centers of learning in India. The Department is housed in a double-storied Gothic building with a domed roof and is lined with typical, Allahabadi arches, silhouettes of the past. The classrooms have high vaults and are lined with textbooks from the wall to the roof. Department reflects the claim of University of being Oxford of the East. Many world-renowned scholars having knowledge of algebra, fluid mechanics, geometry and mathematical ecology have emerged from here.
Department of Botany
The Department of Botany is housed in a colonial era building, showing classical syncretism with Indo-Islamic style of architecture, a form that is typical for Allahabad. Palm trees line the avenue of the department that was established in 1923. It is one of the oldest botany departments in the country.
University road in Katra, near Colonelganj is an artery between the Arts and Science Faculties of Allahabad University. A walk through this road is a journey into the life of a student of the University, which is known for its excellence in debate and scholarship. Lining the street are street vendors selling the most ubiquitous things a college student may require ranging from stationery to food and daily need items. An interesting fact about this place is that books are sold here in kilogram, each vendor offers a plethora of pads to choose from and is armed with the wrought-iron weighing scale.
Department of Ancient History
This department has contributed immensely to the study of the Indian prehistory, religion, philosophy, archaeology and anthropology. It was established under the aegis of Prof. G.R. Sharma who has undertaken extensive excavation projects each of archaeological significance. The Department’s work has thrown light on the history of the Ganges valley. The G.R. Sharma Memorial Museum houses antiquities discovered by the Department.
The central library was designed in a confluence of Scottish, Baronial, Awadhi, Mughal and British architectural styles by architect Sir Swinton Jacob. The present structure was built in 1973. In front of the library stands a statue of Suryakant Tripathi Nirala, one of the renowned personalities of Hindi Literature.
This lofty structure was constructed by Sir Swinton Jacob in 1910-1915. The Senate Hall is decked with chhatries or canopies; the upper storey has balconies or jharokhas which are lined with deep crimson; and the walls are penetrated with typical Allahabadi arches.
The college was established in 1951and is maintained by the Kayastha Pathashala Trust. Allahabad University has eleven constituent and fourteen hostel colleges.
How to Reach:
Bamrauli Airport - 6 km
Allahabad Railway Junction - 4 km Prayag Station - 2 km Rambagh Station - 3 km
Civil Lines Bus Stand - 5 km